Why choose Henshaw Eyewear?
What makes Henshaw Eyewear the Industry Leader?
- Henshaw frames are made of stylish and durable acetate material in the latest colors and designs. As an optical company with over 60 years combined experience in the eyewear industry, we source the highest quality lenses & frames available. Our range is available online but is also stocked by over 80 Independent Eye care practices across Ireland and the UK. We are the choice of Eye care professionals in Ireland & the UK!
- Our collection of Blue light glasses and Sunglasses are available with prescription lenses and are manufactured in house at our Optical Glazing Lab in Dublin. All prescription lenses are signed off by our in house registered optician, so, you can be rest assured that your order has met industry standards and regulations before being sent to your door. We supply Ready Readers, right through to Progressive and Bi - Focal lenses.
- The Henshaw Blue Light lenses filter up to 90-92% of harmful blue light between 380-500NM.
- Henshaw Lenses come with Anti reflective and hard coated lenses as standard
- Henshaw Blue Light Lenses are not an unfashionable orange tint but instead they give a minimal warm feel meaning the lens’ protect your eyes whilst looking great!
Some more information on Blue light
What is Blue Light?
For a start, Blue light is everywhere. Each color of light has its own individual wavelength, the shorter the wavelength, the higher the energy. Blue light has the shortest wavelength in the visible spectrum which is also known as High Energy Visible Light (HEV) which ranges from 380-500 Nano metres. Sunlight is the largest source of Blue light and man made, harmful sources include:
So, how is Blue Light bad for me?
The Anterior structures of the adult human eye are very effective at blocking UV rays from reaching the light sensitive retina at the back of the eyeball. On the other hand, virtually all blue light passes through the cornea and lens and reaches the retina.
The fact that blue light penetrates all the way to the retina means that such exposure to Blue light damages light-sensitive cells in the retina. This increases the risk of Digital Eye Strain & risk of Macular degeneration later in life.
What is Digital Eye strain?
If you expose your eyes to HEV Blue Light for long periods, the chances of experiencing Digital Eye Strain increase. Symptoms include, dry eyes, headaches, itchy eyes, bad sleeping patterns and a decrease in overall energy.
Can Blue light affect my sleep?
Yes. Blue Light suppress’ melatonin production and melatonin is a core component of initiating the sleep cycle. So, if you find you can’t sleep after a day on the screens and scrolling before bed, it’s harmful blue light that is keeping you awake!
What is Age Related Macular Degeneration?
Age-related macular degeneration is a painless eye condition often referred to as AMD or macular degeneration. AMD causes the gradual loss of sight due to blurring or loss of central vision.
How much Blue light do Henshaw frames actually filter out?
The Henshaw Blue Light lenses filter up to 90-92% of harmful blue light between 380 and 500NM. High Energy Visible Blue Light (HEV) which is between 380 - 500 NM is the harmful blue light emitted from screens. The graph below shows the strength of our lenses.
Henshaw Blue Light Collection FAQ’s
Who are the Henshaw Eyewear range best suited to?
The Henshaw Eyewear range are for all adults, male and female. We offer all of our styles in up to three colors and all of our styles come with or without prescription making them ideal for those that don’t normally wear glasses.
I don’t normally wear glasses, can I wear the Henshaw Blue Filter?
Absolutely. Our Plano frames allow those who don’t need prescription eyewear to enjoy the benefits of the Blue Filter technology. This is one of the reasons Robbie Henshaw founded the company. He does not wear glasses himself, but needed a solution. Plano lenses are that solution.
I wear contact lenses on a daily basis, can I still wear Henshaw glasses?
Yes you can. The technology in the lens will actually help prevent your eyes from feeling dry or itchy after a prolonged time in front of a digital screen.
Do you ship worldwide?
Yes. We ship to every corner of the world! We offer free express shipping to Ireland and UK and a small additional fee for anywhere further afield.
How do I know which pair will fit me?
Our styles are unisex and fit all shapes and sizes of head. If you are not satisfied with the fit, you can return the pair to us within 30 days of purchase. In addition, the measurements for all of our frames are on each product page throughout the website.
Do you do Ready Readers?
Yes we do. We cater for -1.5 to +3.5 in Ready Readers on all of our optical frames. Simply select, ready readers on the style that you like!
I have a strong Prescription, How do I add this to my order?
Simply upload a picture of your prescription to your order on the product page. Our in house optician will analyse your prescription and should we have any questions we will reach out to you.
What is my Pupillary Distance?
We have a handy dropdown guide on each product page. Generally speaking, Females are usually a PD of 61 and 63 for Men.
Do you do kids prescriptions?
No. Due to the most recent legislation as per CORU, we cannot grant prescriptions to those younger than 16 years of age.
Can I add a prescription to a pair of sunglasses on your site?
Yes, of course! Simply upload a picture of your prescription with your order. All our prescription sunglasses come with Polarised lenses as standard.